Gauntlgrym (Forgotten Realms: Neverwinter, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #20) - R.A. Salvatore

These books get better and better.

This is (should I count?) book #38 (at least the ones I've been reading). I've got my wife started on them (she's 4 books in, now).

You can tell that as an author, Salvatore wants to shake things up a bit-- he's breaking the mold that he made in the first dozen or so books, and nothing's the same.

With the last book chronologically (Ghost King) that managed to kill off 3 main characters, and this book starting decades after that, Salvatore's showing a willingness to leave the past behind and start something (somewhat) fresh.

I don't want to spoiler it, but this book has a death toll as well.

No big spoilers in here:

I'm intrigued to see where this series is going. I see that Drizzt is (for the umpteenth time) getting all moody about his life, but it's interesting to see the difference in the character arcs of Drizzt and Jarlaxle. Jarlaxle is now much more likable, and (if I got my wish) poised to be the new main character of the books. We've learned about Drizzt's struggle over and over with, and I feel like he's played out as a character. Certainly as someone to help other people out, etc, but he's kindof already done his thing, you know. Anyway, more Jarlaxle, plz.

(show spoiler)

OK, so my review: if you're willing to slog through all the previous books, by all means, keep going!