The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain

So when I was a kid, I had this large collection of Children's Condensed Classics. There were maybe 25-30 books, and they were all amazing. Let me see if I can remember some of the titles:

Tom Sawyer

Huck Finn

Around the World in 80 Days

Moby Dick

Little Women

The Many Adventures of Robin Hood

The Oregon Trail

White Fang

...okay, I'm pretty sure there were many many others. It's almost certainly the series that this yahoo answers question is about (but not the answer. the answer's dumb.)

I'm just kinda sad that my parents garage-saled all those books when I was a teenager. They were passed down to nieces and nephews, and scattered. ... at least I think they were. I oughtta check on that...

As a kid, I read and re-read all of these books. I don't think I realized until later that these weren't the full stories, but as an adult, I can't mentally compare what was missing in those old stories.

...in fact, reading Tom Sawyer was so totally familiar. I must have reread my copy over and over. This was one of those rereadings where I ALWAYS knew what was going to happen next, it was so familiar. Yet, I'm pretty sure I've never read the real version of Tom Sawyer.

So anyway, I remember ALL the stories from this book. Boys being boys. I don't remember Tom being so very superstitious, but that's the sort of thing that passes over the heads of 7-year-old readers.

Anyways, I can't say much about Tom Sawyer that's already been said, other than it is perfect in its language and depiction of boyhood, and the prewar South(-ish), and everyone-- especially every boy-- oughtta read this book.