Sisterhood of Dune - 'Brian Herbert',  'Kevin J. Anderson' Ahh, it felt good to just throw myself into a book again.

This one's quite good.

As an afficionado of the Dune series, especially the prequels, this was a good one-- I even broke my Robert Jordan rule (no unfinished series!) to read this one.

Turns out this is the first in a new series taking place after the Butlerian Jihad series of prequels, so chronologically book 4 in the Dune universe. Luckily, I read that series pretty recently, so the characters are still fresh in my mind.

Since this isn't the first of the prequels, this shouldn't be a starting point for anyone. If you read this, you should have at least read the 3 books in the Butlerian Jihad series. By that point, you should have an opinion as to whether you love or hate the Dune prequels.

For my money, the Brian Herbert/Kevin J Anderson Dune prequels do a LOT less damage to Frank Herbert's amazing universe and legacy than Frank Herbert's books 3-6. If you disagree, well, you're wrong, but you're entitled to your opinion. (Penny Arcade!) You are free to be disappointed in the prequels-- they're a lot shallower and more forumulaic than Frank Herbert's masterpiece, but they're fun adventure reads that certainly do no harm to the original ideas.

Anyway, this book is great for lovers of the Butlerian Jihad prequels. Only 3-4 characters remain from that series, but the world is similar. It's an interesting time-- the imperium is young and weak. People are still uncertain as to the lessons to learn from the fight against the thinking machines, and the universe isn't so static as the next several millenia-- until really the book Dune. There are interesting characters, etc. etc., and enough drama and unresolved tension that I'm not bored reading an (arguably) unnecessary series between familiar points. About the only thing I was disappointed in was I thought the Mentats could've been .... smarter. For being Mentats, they're surprisingly un-Mentat-like-- maybe that's because these guys are the first.

I read it in two days and thoroughly loved it. It's only not 5 stars in deference to the original Dune, which is, unfortunately, always a comparison