Breakfast at Tiffany's and Three Stories - Truman Capote I got this for christmas a few years ago, and I thought I hadn't read it. Turns out, I must've read 2 out of the 4 stories in this book already, but had forgotten about them.

That's not glowing praise for the stories, is it?

So.. Breakfast at Tiffany's. It's one of those (very rare) books where the movie adaptation was so complete, so amazing, that it renders the source book unnecessary. (for another example, The Princess Bride, although many would disagree) Audrey Hepburn IS Holly Golightly, and is much more of an interesting and real character than anything Capote came up with.

The story was alright-- I can tell that it was calculated to shock in the 60s, but it's pretty tame by today's standards. Regardless, it was just unnecessary after seeing the movie. Just watch the movie and don't bother with the book.

The other three stories in the book: A House of Flowers, The Diamond Guitar, and A Christmas Memory were alright short stories. The sort of thing that Lit teachers like to assign because of the descriptive prose and short page count. None of them were bad, but not amazing either.

I was introduced to Capote as one of those obsessed-with-fame, more-interested-in-being-a-celebrity-than-a-writer writers, and I can kind of see that here. He's good, don't get me wrong, but he wants you to know how good he is, and wants you to think he's deep.

Anyway, this was not a bad read, but I'd recommend many other 20th century authors' stories ahead of these.