In Sylvan Shadows (Forgotten Realms) - R.A. Salvatore Another fun fantasy book. This one's about 80% fight scenes, which is fun fluff, but it's almost like one of those action movies where there's so many explosions that you lose out on any story...

...the primary story of the book (elves fighting for their home) was kinda bland. If anything, it got me thinking about how Tolkien's elves were all kinda jerks because they're the ones that lived in middle earth forever and ever, yet when something bad happened (i.e. Sauron), they were all "Later, guys.. this sounds like the humans' problem..."

WAIT.... aren't Tolkien's Orcs supposed to be fallen elves? If that's the case, why won't the elves take any responsibility for them?

Okay, now I've spent more than half of my review of this book talking about a different book by a different author. I guess for a lot of Salvatore's work, he's really a distant echo of Tolkien. That's okay, I guess, if you recognize it for what it is...

What I DO like about this book is the overarching story of Cadderly's spiritual journey (which, I anticipate is the actual plot of this series). That's intriguing and making me want to read more. So, I plod along through battle scenes to get to the few scenes of Cadderly struggling with his conscience, etc. etc.