A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle

First, an explanation. It has been, according to my calculations, three-and-a-half years ("time, and twice time, and half a time"...) since I've posted last. I have to say it's easier going through life without having to write about the books I read, but I also find that I miss something tangible that I get from writing after I've finished a book. It's a little chunk of memory to hold on to, even if it's only a few words. So, I'm trying to get back into it. Hopefully it won't consume too much of my time.

..So.. A Wrinkle in Time... I read this many years ago, and I vaguely think I got into a sequel or two, but I don't remember much about the sequels.

This time, I had a dickens of a time starting the book. I've been playing Pokemon on the 3DS (pokemon X, for the record... I'm a bit behind), and I've been so absorbed in that story that it's hard for me to pick up a book. In my rather twisted view of the world, that's okay. To me, a good video game is equivalent to a good book. Both stretch the imagination in different ways, and a well-rounded person should do both, but not get so lost in either that they forget to live.

So, finally I started moving on this book. I forgot how familiar the setting was, and how quickly I could make it through the material.

My impression this time is that the main characters (Meg and her family) were a bit snobbish. A bit of the "we're so smart, nobody else who is less smart matters" type of attitude. Not to Ayn Rand levels, but just a little bit.

Other than that, the story was a pleasant adventure. I was gripped, and the vivid imagery of the suburban planet, the CENTRAL central intelligence building, the Beasts, etcetera was all familiar and good. I saw a trailer for the new movie and I'm excited. I don't know how this will adapt to the big screen, but I have high hopes.